Religiously motivated murders – 2012

Spate of murderous attacks in Karachi



Translation: The only cure of Qadianis … Al-Jihad, Al-Jihad (Holy War)

(Inscribed on a calendar issued by World Tahaffuze Khatme Nabuwwat Council, 124/24, Allama Iqbal Road, Shadab Colony, Garhi Shahu, Lahore. )

Ahmadis in Karachi had a very rough time this year. Their opponents went to the extreme; they took to target-killing. At one time their score averaged one per week. We first enter the reports of various incidents as they happened and were reported by us in our monthly reports. A few comments will be made at the end. Below is a clipping from a calendar published by anti-Ahmadi clerics inciting the public to wage war against Ahmadis.

Ahmadi murdered for his faith

Karachi; January 18, 2012:   Mr. Ahsan Kamal S/O Mr. Zafar Iqbal, aged 30 was murdered by unknown persons on January 18, 2012 at 4:30 p.m.

He was working in a franchise of Warid Company when assailants entered the shop and shot him twice. They left the scene without looting anything from the shop.

Mr. Kamal was a harmless man who had no personal issues with anyone. He was an active member of the Ahmadiyya community. He is survived by his parents, a brother and three sisters.

Mr. Ahsan Kamal

There is evidence of involvement by jihadist organizations in his murder. The police are reluctant to proceed with this case.

Mr. Kamal had donated his eyes in his will; these were given to a deserving applicant after his death.


Prominent Ahmadi killed for his faith

Naeem Gondal

Mr. Naeem Gondal

Karachi, July 19, 2012:          Mr. Naeem Ahmad Gondal S/O Ch. Abdul Wahid, the president of the local Ahmadiyya community in Orangi Town, Karachi was shot dead by two unknown men on July 19, 2012, when he was going to work in the morning.

It was a case of target killing. He left home at about 08:00 as per routine to catch the office van from a nearby stop. He was intercepted by the assailants who shot him through the head. The bullet entered from the right side and emerged from the left.

Mr. Gondal was 52 years old and is survived by his wife. He had no personal enemies and was respected in the neighbourhood. He had Master’s degree in Economics and Business Administration, and worked as an Assistant Director in the State Bank of Pakistan. He served the Ahmadiyya community as the local president for past eleven years.

The situation is tough for Ahmadis in Orangi Town for a long time. Anti-Ahmadiyya wall-chalking is prolific there. Earlier this year an Ahmadi was murdered for his faith in Manzoor Colony. Another Ahmadi was injured grievously in Karachi a few months ago.


A spate of Ahmadis’ murders in Karachi for their faith

Karachi:          Four Ahmadis were murdered in Karachi within a period of ten days during September.

  1.           I.         Rao Abdul Ghaffar of Baldia Town was murdered on September 6, 2012 by target-killers. He was a teacher by profession. While returning home from school, he was attacked by two persons and shot dead. Mr. Ghaffar was 44, married and had four children; the eldest is 16 years old. Mr. Ghaffar enjoyed a good reputation as a person and a teacher. His record of voluntary community services was excellent.
  2.        II.         Mr. Muhammad Nawaz was killed at about 20:00 on September 11, 2012 while driving to his place of duty. Unknown killers shot him twice in the head; he died on the spot. Mr. Nawaz was a good and helpful man. He is survived by his widow, two sons, three daughters and an elderly mother.
  3.     III.

Naveed Ahmad

Mr. Naveed Ahmad

Mr. Naveed Ahmad, 22, was attacked in his neighbourhood while sitting outside in company with friends, on September 14, 2012. Two unknown motor-cyclists approached them and fired shots from close range. Mr. Ahmad was hit twice in the stomach. He died on his way to hospital. His friends were hurt but survived.

  1.     IV.         Mr. Muhammad Ahmad Siddiqui was subjected to a target-killing on September 15, 2012 at about midnight. He closed his shop and was on his way home with his brother-in-law, Mr. Shams Fakhri. It seems someone reported their departure on a cell-phone to the killers who were waiting for their targets not too far away. Mr. Siddiqui and Mr. Fakhri were both hit with bullets. Mr. Siddiqui died, while Mr. Fakhri was operated upon for removal of bullets. The latter lost lot of blood in the process and his condition became critical; fortunately he survived.


Naveed Ahmad


It is learnt that a mulla Aziz was present at some distance when they closed their store. He phoned someone at the time. Mr. Siddiqui and some other members of his family joined Ahmadiyyat in 2001. This had caused a reaction in their circle of acquaintances.

Mr. Siddiqui was 23; he got married (Nikah) only a week earlier. He was the youngest of his 11 brothers and sisters. Two of his brothers are settled in the USA.


Target-killing of Ahmadis goes on in Karachi during October

October 2012: Five Ahmadis, including three in Karachi were killed by unknown killers this month. Last month four Ahmadis were likewise murdered in Karachi. No arrests have been made. Incidents for the month of October are briefly described below.

  1. Mr. Saad Farooq, 26, was killed in Baldia Town, Karachi on October 19, 2012 when his family convoy was driving back home from their mosque after the Friday congregational prayers. Mr. Farooq was riding a motor cycle. Unknown men on a motor cycle approached him from behind, shot him in the head, and he died on the spot. They then fired at a car in which Mr. Farooq’s father, brother, father-in-law and others were seated. The three were injured and taken to a hospital.

A few months ago, the president of the Ahmadiyya community Baldia Town was killed by target-killers.


Mr. Saad Farooq was an active member of the Karachi Ahmadi community. He had only recently been married a few days before. His bride of three days is now a widow.

II&III   Two more Ahmadis, Raja Abdul Hamid Khan and Mr. Bashir Ahmad were killed in Baldia Town four days later, on October 23, 2012.

Raja Abdul Hameed Khan, 40, a homeopath was shot dead at night in his clinic. Ten minutes later, Mr. Bashir Ahmad, 70, owner of a general store shop was shot dead, perhaps by the same people.

Ahmadi succumbs to injuries

Karachi; November 27, 2012:           Chaudhry Nusrat Mahmood, a 68-year-old Ahmadi, who was critically injured in the October 19 attack, succumbed to his injuries after more than a month in hospital. He was driving back home in the company of his relatives after offering his Friday prayers when unidentified assailants started firing at them. Mr. Mahmood’s son-in-law Saad Farooq was killed in that attack. Saad’s father, Farooq Ahmed Kahlon, and his brother, Ammad Farooq, were also injured.

Mr. Mahmood lived in New York and had come to Karachi for his daughter’s wedding with Saad Farooq which took place only three days before the attack.

The Director of Public Affairs for Ahmadiyya Jamaat Mr. Saleemuddin reiterated that the hate campaign against the Ahmadiyya community has continued while the administration has taken no action and none of the involved criminals had faced justice; this was one of the major factors in increased violence against the community. “We have brought this to the notice of authorities, but to little avail,” he stated.

The above reports show that all the Ahmadis murdered in Karachi were target killed by sharp shooters and trained criminals. Most of the targets were active members of the local Ahmadi communities, including two who were presidents. Two among the martyred were youth who had married very recently which makes their death even more mournful and even sadistic, as the killers must have been aware of this aspect of their personal lives. Most of the murders were undertaken in Baldia Town/Orangi area. The Khatme Nabuwwat Organization is well entrenched and well-known in this area.

Ahmadis have been killed in Karachi for their faith since the promulgation of the anti-Ahmadi Ordinance XX. This year alone 10 Ahmadis were killed. During the months of September and October, on the average one Ahmadi was killed every week. This is a frightening experience for a small community. If Ahmadis are only 1% of the population, this rate has the same significance as 97 persons of the majority community being target-killed in Karachi per week. Of course, Ahmadis maintained their principled policy: No bloodshed even for revenge. ‘Love for All; Hatred for None’ is a demanding motto; Ahmadis have honoured their commitment to this ideal.

The Ahmadiyya Director of Public Affairs brought this killing spree to the notice of relevant authorities, but to little avail. In a recent letter he conveyed them once again that mullas openly declare Ahmadis Wajib-ul-Qatl (must be killed) in their rallies and sermons, and distribute leaflets with such edicts. They even dare print their names and addresses on these but the authorities look the other way. They seem to lack political will in disciplining these clerics. It is clear that attacks on Ahmadis are result of a deliberate conspiracy of extremist religious and anti-social elements who are busy spreading sectarian hatred in the name of religion.

It is learnt that one or more terrorists have been arrested who have confessed to the murder of some Ahmadis in addition to a few others. Let’s see if these criminals are brought to justice. Even more important is the need to find their sponsors and financers who should be made to suffer for their crimes against humanity.


Police torture to death Mr. Abdul Qadoos, an innocent prominent Ahmadi in Rabwah

No person shall be subjected to torture for the purpose of extracting evidence.

Constitution of Pakistan

Article 14(1) and (2)

Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of person.

Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Article 3

Mr. Abdul Qadoos was a teacher by profession and had been elected by his local Ahmadi community to be its president. He was a respected figure on all counts. His arrest by the police on baseless accusation and torture to death was a shock and a devastating blow to Ahmadis, not only in Rabwah, but also in the country – even in their worldwide community. The incident is described below in brief, as it is nearly impossible to do justice to the description of this grossly inhuman act. The policemen, who inflicted the torture, have not been arrested, while those high-ups who directed or encouraged the torture have not been named, as an appropriate high-level enquiry commission was not appointed. A magistrate-level judicial enquiry was held which did a good job of its assignment.


FOLLOWING PRESS RELEASE was issued by the Ahmadiyya central office in Rabwah on March 30, 2012:

Abdul Qadoos, school teacher dies of police torture. Strong legal action demanded against police officials responsible for this murder. Spokesman Jamaat Ahmadiyya

Chenab Nagar (Rabwah) PR:          School teacher Abdul Qadoos died of torture at the hands of savage police officials of Police Station, Chenab Nagar. As per reports, the police detained Master (teacher) Abdul Qadoos as suspect in the murder of Ahmad Yusuf, a stamp-papers vendor of Nusrat Abad, Rabwah. The police subjected him to intense inhuman torture to forcibly derive from him an admission of complicity in that murder. After he was fatally injured, the police released him after obtaining a written statement from his relatives under threats. He was losing blood fast as a result of the torture. The doctors in the local hospital made frantic efforts to save his life. The victim, however, succumbed to his injuries on Friday, March 30, 2012.

The spokesman of the Ahmadiyya community expressed deep grief and concern over the inconsolable death of Master Abdul Qadoos and termed the torture grossly inhuman. He stated that the murder of Mr. Yusuf must be investigated and the guilty must be punished, however ‘who has authorized the police to torture people to death in the course of investigation?’

According to him, the antagonists of the Ahmadiyya community wanted to implicate some leaders of the community in the murder of Ahmad Yousaf (emphasis added).  The arrest of Master Abdul Qadoos, president of the Ahmadiyya community of Nusrat Abad, Rabwah, and his torture to obtain a forced admission of involvement from him was an act to that end. “Officials who indulged in unlawful torture should be punished as per law,” the spokesman said. He demanded that a high level commission be set up and the so-called law-enforcement officials involved in the murder of an innocent man should be severely punished for violation of the law.


A Press Release from London.        The Press Secretary Ahmadiyya Muslim Jamaat International issued a press release two days later in London on this incident and added:

Mr. Abdul Qadoos

Whilst in custody, Mr. Master Abdul Qadoos Ahmad was hung upside down from his ankles for long periods. Furthermore, whilst laid supine, an extremely heavy wooden roller, similar to those used to flatten cricket pitches, was rolled all over his body, as attendants stood at each side of him making sure he could not move. Such inhumane and merciless treatment led to multiple organ failure and crushed his muscles. These are just a few examples of the torture inflicted.


The daily Express Tribune reported the incident on March 31, 2012, (excerpts):

“When his body could not take further torture, his relatives were blackmailed and he was released. He was admitted to a local hospital where doctors tried to save his life, but Qadoos died due to several injuries and excessive loss of blood,” Abdul Qadoos’s brother-in-law Imtiaz Ahmad said.

“He (the SHO), however, maintains that the accused was picked up on March 24 and was released two days later as the police was convinced of his innocence. Hussain (the SHO) says a fatal disease could be the possible cause of death.”


Vernacular print media:       The incident was so gruesome that even the vernacular newspapers that are normally unsympathetic to the Ahmadiyya issues took notice and gave multi-column coverage to the story. Headlines are translated below:

Chenab Nagar: School teacher dies of police torture. Citizens’ strong protest.

                                                                                                The daily Nawa-i-Waqt, Lahore; April 1, 2012

Chenab Nagar:  Death of Teacher Abdul Qadoos. The entire area in mourning.

                                                                                                The daily Pakistan, Lahore; April 1, 2012

Chenab Nagar:  Death of school teacher due police torture. Business centers close.

                                                                                                The Daily Express, Faisalabad; April 1, 2012

Chiniot:                                School teacher’s death due alleged police torture. Teachers’ Union                                                                            announces 3 days’ mourning.

                                                                                                                The daily Awaz, Lahore; April 1, 2012

Chenab Nagar:  School teacher, the sole supporter of his family, dies of police                                                                                      torture.

                                                                                                The daily Musawat, Lahore; April 1, 2012


It is apparent from official records that Asian Human Rights Commission, Hong Kong took notice of this barbaric murder and approached the authorities in Pakistan. As a result, a judicial enqiry was conducted by Mr. Shahid Hameed Chaudhary, Magistrate Section-30, and he forwarded its proceedings and his findings to his superiors in judiciary. Its copies were sent to the higher administration. It appears that Magistrate Chaudhary boldly placed his findings regarding the police inspectors and officials on record, although he was restrained by his position to interrogate high police, administration and political personalities. Brief extracts from this judicial inquiry report are produced below. Important players mentioned in this grisly real-life drama were the following:

  • Shujat Malhi, Manazar Ali – Investigating Sub-Inspectors (SI)
  • Muzaffar Ali SI – Incharge Chowki (Police Post) Jhanger Galoteran
  • Muhammad Khan, Muhammad Naeem, Muhammad Aslam, and Amin Nazir – Constables
  • Khadim Hussain – SHO Chenab Nagar (Rabwah)
  • Raja Khalid Pervaiz – SP Investigation
  • Shehzad Akbar – DPO Chiniot
  • Ahmad Yousaf – A murder victim, case/FIR 392/2011
  • Ahmad Saifulla, advocate – Son of Ahmad Yousaf
  • Danyal Faisal, Sarfraz and others – Witnesses
  • Dr. Sultan Mubashir – The doctor who attend to Mr. Qadoos after his injuries


  • Chowki Jhanger Golateran: A police post located a few miles NE of Rabwah, within the jurisdiction of Police Station Chenab Nagar


The Magistrate wrote the following in his findings (extracts):

“I have gone through the entire statements of the witnesses appeared before the undersigned and the respondents themselves and their witnesses and statements of the witnesses summoned by the undersigned. Admittedly, deceased Abdul Qadoos remained in police custody for more than 1 ½ months of investigation of case FIR No. 75/2012 without any entry in the record and without adopting any legal procedure because same has been admitted by Muzaffar Ali SI and even the same has not been denied by the respondents themselves and during the said period he was subjected to inhumane torture by the accused persons/police officials of case FIR No. 75/12 police station Chenab Nagar. Exertion of torture is quite evident from the final report submitted by District Standing Medical Board through Dr. Mushtaq Bashir District Medical Legal Officer (Member District Standing Medical Board). Moreover, age as well as physical condition of the deceased was in no way likely to cause natural death of human being. Moreover, involvement of Muzaffar Ali SI also cannot be ruled out who was incharge “Chowki Jhanger Galoteran” because he too has been fully implicated by Daniyal and Sarfraz. Furthermore, even SHO police station Chenab Nagar was involved in the entire occurrence and same is evident from the record and from the statements of witnesses appeared before the undersigned. Moreover, it is unfortunate to mention over here that till today Khadim Hussain is SHO police station Chenab Nagar and he is in a pivotal position to interfere in the investigation of both the cases bearing number 392/2011 and 75/2012 of police station Chenab Nagar. It is pertinent to mention over here that even all the High Ups of the Department particularly DPO and DSP concerned circle were fully aware about the illegal custody of the deceased by the Police and exertion of torture by the police on the deceased. Furthermore, accused Shujat Malhi SI as incharge investigation, Manazar Ali SI as investigating officer of the case, Muzaffar Ali SI as incharge of the Chowki alongwith constables Muhammad Khan 16/C, Muhammad Naeem 1024/RC, Muhammad Aslam 545/C and Amir Nazir 493/C are found fully involved in a brutal murder of Abdul Qadoos deceased. Further Manazar Ali SI/I.O. of the case despite number of notices remained absconder and did not join inquiry proceedings which itself shows high handedness on his part.

“It is also worth mentioning over here that Shujat Malhi Incharge investigation police station Chenab Nagar did not even once deny that deceased Abdul Qadoos did not remain in their custody. It is also worth mentioning over here that respondents have not denied keeping the deceased in illegal custody for such a long period of time and handing over the deceased to his family members in a serious condition, which resulted in the death of deceased, he was not provided any proper medical aid. It has also appeared on the record that Muhammad Khan constable, Muhammad Naeem constable and Amir Nazir constable were involved in the torture on the deceased, whereas Asif Hayat head constable and Amir Nazir constable have also been found in transporting the deceased from the police station Chenab Nagar to Chowki Jhanger Galoteran where deceased was subjected to inhumane torture.

“Moreover, in my view SHO Chenab Nagar is also involved in the entire occurrence because Muzaffar Ali SI, Daniyal Faisal and Sarfraz fully implicated him in the entire occurrence.” (emphasis added)

As far the cause of death of Mr. Qadoos, the Medical Board of the District Hospital Chiniot concluded as follows:

“The death in the opinion of District Standing Medical Board is suggestive of due to anti-mortem trauma mentioned in the report, leading to renal failure and its allied complications.” Signed: Chairman and three members.

Imtiaz Ahmad one of the witnesses told the Magistrate that on March 17, 2012, “Abdul Qadoos deceased was in the clutches of police officials whereas Shujat Malhi and Manazar (sic) were severely torturing (the) deceased.” “Again on 22.03.2012 around 6:30 p.m. when they reached police station Chenab Nagar they heard Abdul Qadoos deceased was severely screaming.” On 26.03.2012 “…the condition of the deceased was quite severe and blood stains were present on all over his shirt and shalwar (trousers), and Manazar Ali SI told them (sic) to take away Abdul Qadoos deceased with them otherwise they will also involve them in the murder of deceased Ahmad Yousaf…”

Mubashir Ahmad another eye-witness told the Magistrate of being a witness to the severe torture of the deceased by the two police sub-inspectors. He also saw the deceased being tortured at Chowki Jhanger Galoteran. On March 26 he found that Mr. Qadoos “could barely walk and his entire clothes were stained with blood and even blood was coming in his vomits and motions.”

Muhammad Idrees, a witness, told Magistrate Chaudhary that on March 22, 2012 “when they reached near the outer gate of the police station, heard hue and cry of Master Abdul Qadoos deceased.”

Mrs. Robina Qadoos, the wife of the victim told the Magistrate that deceased told her that “police officials obtained his thumb impression and signatures on blank papers, too.”

The Magistrate quoted Mr Atiq-ur-Rehman a witness as, “He further deposed that deceased also told him that DSP Chenab Nagar Ch. Asghar and SHO Chenab Nagar were also involved in torture on him. He further stated that deceased told him that police officials forced him to nominate higher officials of the Jamaat Ahmadiyya.” (emphasis added)

Danial Faisal and Sarfraz who were also in the police lock-up in Chowki Galoteran stated as witnesses that all three of them “were brutally tortured by police… were not allowed to sit and were even not allowed to sleep during the entire night… Abdul Qadoos was also taken to the back side where he was subjected to severe torture… Abdul Qadoos was looking in extreme pain and even on that day all of them were not allowed to sit during the entire night. After two days when condition of Master Abdul Qadoos relatively improved, they were again severely tortured by Muzaffar Ali SI. In the evening Ch. Asghar DSP Chenab Nagar, Khadim Hussain SHO Chenab Nagar alongwith Manazar Ali SI came to Chowki and Abdul Qadoos was produced before them and Manazar Ali SI got recorded his statement. At that time condition of Abdul Qadoos was very bad.”

The Enquiry Report mentions further: “Dr. Sultan Ahmad Mubashar appeared before the court as IW 33, who stated that he checked Abdul Qadoos his clothes were stained with blood and his entire body was badly swollen and he was told that Abdul Qadoos was subjected to police torture and he is losing blood in vomits and urine, he immediately directed to infuse blood to the deceased because due to torture by police deceased suffered crush injuries and his creatinine level and potassium levels had increased alarmingly and deceased was losing protein and red cells in his urine.”

It is interesting to read in the report that Shujat Malhi SI, one of the two officials primarily involved in the torture of the deceased “denied his involvement in the said case” and stated that “he had no concern whatsoever with the entire episode.” The other official Manazar Ali SI absconded, and did not appear before the Magistrate.

Of equal relevance and concern is the role of the senior police officials as brought out in this Enquiry. Mr. Saleemuddin, as IW 25 stated that he met DPO Chiniot at least 03/04 occasions and on each occasion DPO assured him that “Abdul Qadoos was innocent and they had arrested him due to pressure of the complainant.       … Attique-ur-Rehman met DPO Chiniot who again assured them that they had “removed Master Abdul Qadoos (to Chowki Galoteran) only to avoid court bailiff.” Subsequently Mr. Saleemuddin alongwith Attiq-ur-Rehman met SP Investigation, who was incharge of investigation team and he too stated that deceased Abdul Qadoos was innocent and they would release him. Finger prints obtained from the residence of deceased Ahmad Yousaf were not compared with the finger prints of Abdul Qadoos, therefore, their suspicion was further fortified that Abdul Qadoos has been deliberately tortured by the police only because he was office-bearer of Jamaat Ahmadiyya.”

A very revealing and incriminating statement, in the above context is that of Incharge Police Chowki Jhanger Galoteran, Muzaffar Ahmad. According to him when his clerk, Zafar, refused to initially receive Abdul Qadoos at the Chowki, the “SHO Chenab Nagar Khadim Hussain literally abused him and told him that he has sent Abdul Qadoos to the Chowki on the direction of higher officials and DPO Chiniot… .  He further stated that Khadim Hussain SHO Chenab Nagar and Ch. Asghar DSP Chenab Nagar were involved in the said torture because they used to come to Chowki Jhanger Galoteran on routine basis. He further stated that complainant of case/FIR No. 392/11 Ahmad Saif ullah and Shujat Malhi in connivance with each other nominated different persons and received hefty amounts from them…. He further deposed that DPO was fully aware regarding the torture on the deceased. One day he appeared before Raja Khalid Pervaiz SP Investigation, Khadim Hussain SHO Chenab Nagar was also present there, and SP Investigation was ridiculing SHO for not making the deceased confess about the matter.”

It is noteworthy that apart from the DSP getting suspended and the two investigating SIs being named in the FIR none else has faced any further departmental action. This judicial inquiry report has reached very high levels in the Federation and the Punjab province as also in the Supreme Court, but no further action has been deemed necessary despite the fact that Pakistan is a signatory to the international covenant on Convention Against Torture and is accountable to the world community for what is undertaken by its police and security agencies.


Some important facts of this case:

  • Mr. Abdul Qadoos was approximately 43 years old. He was highly respected in his neighbourhood and was known as a good teacher.
  • He has left behind his wife and four children, the eldest is 14.
  • Shujat Malhi, a police inspector and former SHO in Rabwah, was transferred away from here sometimes ago for non-professional conduct. He was transferred back very recently to Rabwah as an investigating inspector. Immediately on arrival, he shifted Mr. Abdul Qadoos to the distant Chowki Galoteran where he and sub-inspector Manazar Ali subjected Mr. Qadoos to fatal torture.
  • Mr. Qadoos told his friends on release that the investigating team was initially overseen by some senior officials; they required him to implicate in writing the senior leadership of the Ahmadiyya community in Pakistan of involvement in the murder of Ahmad Yousaf. Mr. Qadoos refused to be a party to this fabrication. They proceeded then to torture him.
  • His funeral was attended by approximately 4000 men. Subsequently, thousands more including women visited his family and home to offer condolences.

The two police officials against whom an FIR was registered were not arrested by the authorities on the excuse that they had absconded. In fact they are seen moving about freely, and their colleagues do not arrest them.

This tragic incident highlights the following few facts about the present-day governance and society in Pakistan and more particularly in the province of the Punjab, that deserve serious consideration of the leadership of this land:

  • The state has conveyed to its functionaries that Ahmadis are a fair game and their persecution will be amply acceptable.
  • The federal government, despite its verbal support to minorities has virtually given a damning laissez faire license to the provincial government in the Punjab.
  • The Punjab Government run by the PML (N) led by Sharif Brothers follows an overt anti-Ahmadiyya policy to the extent that its intentions and stance are not lost on even the lower echelons of the administration and the police.
  • The Punjab Government’s policy of solidarity with religious extremists is manifested unabashedly in District Chiniot (of which Rabwah is part) by the fact that mulla Ilyas Chinioti, the local MPA was accepted with open arms in the PML (N) after the elections. This liaison is a constant source of hardship for the Ahmadiyya population here.
  • The Punjab Police illegally detains citizens for weeks although the law requires them to produce the detainee before a magistrate by the next day.
  • The police detain citizens without bringing their detention on record and move them to other locations without making appropriate entry in records.
  • They detain people without acquiring even minimal credible evidence.
  • They torture them to sign admission-of-guilt papers.
  • They torture them to death with techniques that leave no external signs but damage their internal vitals beyond recovery.
  • Rather than making professional investigation they opt to torture a detainee to obtain from him confessions about involvement of other fake or real accomplices.
  • They do not care to take their casualty to a hospital for treatment or even first-aid to protect his life or secure him against permanent injury.
  • They hand over their victims to relatives after forcing them to sign on blank papers or certificates designed by the police.
  • The higher police hierarchy directs or leaves it to the lower echelons to commit such horrors, or they choose to remain blissfully ignorant of what goes on in police stations.
  • Police officials, even if charged in an FIR, are provided protection by their superiors and are not arrested for their prima-facie crimes as per law applicable to all accused.
  • There is apparently little departmental accountability of police officials, who even if found guilty of misconduct or unprofessional behavior get only transferred; they are transferred back to the same location on some excuse.
  • In case the police officials, obviously guilty of torture and murder in this case, are not punished, that will substantiate the allegation that some seniors were involved in this conspiracy – be they political, religious, administrative or police high-ranking officials.
  • The unprofessional conduct and character of police officials calls for a major change in the administration policy of this department to protect citizens from its rapacious conduct and turn it into a force that serves the society as expected in civilized countries.

Those responsible for their heinous crime have not been punished. This incident has heightened the sense of insecurity and fear among the population of Rabwah. “If the president of a local Ahmadi community is so vulnerable, who else is safe in this town of Rabwah?” asks the common man.

The above narrative provides clear hints to pinpoint the main object and aim of the invisible high-ups who made the police inspectors commit the torturous crime against their victim. Mr. Abdul Qadoos was an Ahmadi community office-bearer. He was tortured to admit the murder and implicate senior officials of the community in the fabricated story. This was not the first time of such an attempt. In the middle of 1980’s, the mullas, the vernacular media and the hidden ghosts clamoured ‘murder’ over a missing mulla (Aslam Qureshi) and accused Khalifa-tul-Masih IV, Hadrat Mirza Tahir Ahmad the then Supreme Head of the Ahmadi community of involvement. They demanded his arrest. After many years of hiding, the mulla decided to surface. He was in Iran all along, he told the press reporters. Thus the plan to implicate Ahmadiyya Khalifa-tul-Masih came to naught. Again in 1999, the mullas, with the help of the Punjab government, implicated Hadrat Mirza Masroor Ahmad, the Nazar Aala (Chief Executive of Sadar Anjuman Ahmadiyya, Pakistan) in a blasphemy case and had him arrested over an incident in which some unknown person effaced a Quranic verse on a road sign. The police applied clause 295-B of the penal code, for which the penalty is imprisonment for life. The international community took notice, and the fabricated case was dissolved within a fortnight. It appears that in the case of Mr. Abdul Qadoos the real target was the top leadership of the Pakistani Ahmadi community. Once again, the Punjab is ruled by Sharif Brothers, and in Chiniot, mulla Ilyas Chinioti (MPA) has succeeded his father, mulla Manzoor Chinioti (MPA).



Murder in cold blood

Chak 93-TDA, Layyah:         Mr. Tariq Ahmad S/o Mr. Mubarak Ahmad was murdered by unknown assailants on May 17, 2012. Apart from his faith there is no apparent reason for this murder.

Mr. Tariq Ahmad

Tariq was returning home from Kroar, a nearby town, in the afternoon. When he did not arrive, his family tried to contact him on his mobile phone, but received no response. They looked for him all over the town but could not trace him. The villagers joined the search, but there was no trace of the missing gentleman. At 06:00, the victim’s cousin went to the police station to report the matter. There the SHO told him that he had been informed of a corpse in the nearby canal. He asked the applicants to accompany him to the site to identify the dead body. There, they found a corpse which was so disfigured that it was difficult to say who it was. One of Mr. Ahmad’s cousins recognized him by his clothes. It was Mr. Ahmad.

It was obvious from the wounds that Mr. Tariq Ahmad had been subjected to severe torture. One of his eyes had been destroyed with a blow. His nose bone was fractured. His left arm-bone, ribs, left ankle, left elbow and wrist-bone were fractured. The exterior of his right hand and fingers showed signs of violence. All this was shown to the village elders, Ahmadis as well as non-Ahmadis, prior to the burial. According to the post-mortem report Tariq Ahmad had been finally shot through the head between 3 and 4 a.m. Most of his brain had been smashed.

The police registered the FIR. The SHO was an Ahmadi, however it is incredible that the authorities transferred him elsewhere soon afterwards. After that, the officials at the police station paid no attention to the visitors from the victim’s family.

Subsequently, the police detained three men from the village as suspects, however they were treated with undue consideration.

The criminals involved in the murder had apparently used a vehicle whose tyre prints were noted at the site by the victim’s family and an imprint was secured. It was discovered through a private source that a vehicle with such tyre-prints was in use by the local banned Jihadi SSP organization. It was confirmed by a professional detector (khoji) that these ground imprints and pattern on the tyres of the SSP vehicle match. It is astonishing that the khoji has also gone missing. The police appear scared of the SSP and are reluctant to investigate their role in the incident. The investigators are under political pressure as well. All this has apparently put breaks on the police to follow up the available evidence.

It is relevant to mention that another Ahmadi of the same family, Mr. Mujeeb Ahmad was shot at three weeks earlier and critically injured.

Mr. Tariq Ahmad was a practicing Ahmadi. He is survived by his widow and eight children. All the children are in teens or below. The youngest is two years old.

Layyah is the same district in which Ahmadi school children were charged for blasphemy in 2009; the incident was followed up by a massive hate campaign against the Ahmadiyya community. The authorities did little to curb it.


Ahmadi murdered for his faith

Mr. Dawood Ahmad

Sarai Norang, Bannu; January 23, 2012:    Mr. Dawood Ahmad S/O Mr. Muhammad Shafi, aged 55 was killed by unknown persons riding motorcycles.

Two motorcycle riders shot him while he was going to the market at about 09:45. They fled after the attack.

Mr. Ahmad was a harmless man who had no personal vendetta with anyone. He is survived by his wife.

A big Khatme Nabuwwat conference was held in Sarai Norang a few days earlier on January 17, 2012 in which the crowd was harangued against the Ahmadiyya community. This murder could be a result of that instigation.


Killed in Baluchistan

Harnai: It is learnt that Mr. Muhammad Aamir was shot dead in his clinic at about 7 p.m. on December 1, 2011. As the town of Harnai where he died is located in a remote part of that vast province and there is no functional Ahmadiyya organization there, the news of his death took long to reach Rabwah.

Mr. Aamir practiced medicine; he was married and left behind a 10-years old daughter and a five years old son, both school-going. His wife worked as a lady health visitor in the local hospital.

Mr. Aamir joined Ahmadiyyat in 1994. He was a practicing Ahmadi. He was reputed to be a decent and good man.


Chaudhry Muhammad Akram, an Ahmadi, is brutally murdered in a religiously motivated attack. Grandson is in critical condition. Call on the government to protect Ahmadis.

Mr. Muhammad Akran

Press Release by the Ahmadiyya head office in Rabwah on February 29, 2012 about murder in Nawabshah, Sindh: Today (Feb.29, 2012) an 80 years old Ahmadi, Chaudhry Muhammad Akram was murdered in an attack in Nawab Shah, Sindh. His 18 years old grandson Muneeb Ahmad was also victim of this fatal attack and is in hospital undergoing life saving surgery. Mr. Chaudhry Muhammad Akram was coming back from his son-in-law’s shop to his home when unknown assailants opened fire on him. He died on the spot while his grand-son Muneeb Ahmad was taken to hospital in critical condition.

Mr. Muhammad Akram was living in Australia and was on a visit to his daughter and son-in-law where he became a victim. He had no animosity towards anyone nor was he involved in any dispute. The clear motive of his cold-blooded murder is his religion. Seth Muhammad Yousaf the local head of the Ahmadiyya community in Nawab Shah was also murdered in a similar attack. To-date the law enforcement agencies have failed to find his murderers and provide security to Ahmadis.

Mr. Saleemuddin spokesperson of Jamaat Ahmadiyya Pakistan said, “It is becoming a trend of killing Ahmadis in target killings and such incidents are becoming a norm. The ironic part is police and law enforcement agencies who fail to protect the lives of innocent Ahmadis.” Mr. Saleemuddin called upon the government to dispense swift justice against the perpetrators of this crime. Violent assaults against Ahmadis that are carried out in the name of religion are all too often premeditated and well organized. These attacks serve only to blemish the name of Islam and Pakistan. It is most unfortunate that all possible means of mass communication are being used in order to incite the sentiments of people against Ahmadis and inflame the already raging fire of sectarianism in the country.


Another Ahmadi murdered in Nawab Shah for his faith

Nawab Shah, Sindh; March 7, 2012:           Mr. Maqsood Ahmad, a visiting salesman from Rabwah, was shot dead in Nawab Shah openly in the main market. He hailed originally from Krundi, Sindh. These days he was an agent of the Curative Medicine Company and was on his regular monthly tour of Sindh. He was shot by two unknown motorcyclists, and he died on the spot. He had received threats to his life a few months ago. Extremists also conveyed threats to one of the Hindu doctors whom Mr. Maqsood supplied medicines. “If this Mirzai (Ahmadi) comes to you again, we’ll kill him and you too”, they told him.

Mr. Maqsood Ahmad

He is survived by a wife, three sons and two daughters.

An FIR was registered in the police station but no arrests have been made so far. This is the second killing of Ahmadis in Nawab Shah within ten days.

Mr. Maqsood’s grandfather joined the Ahmadiyya community in 1934. Later he was martyred in 1966 in Krundi, an event to which young Maqsood Ahmad was a witness. Mr. Ahmed met the same fate 46 years later in Sindh. By all accounts he was a very good man who was friendly and charitable.


A faith-motivated murder in Sargodha

Sargodha; October 4, 2012:   Khawaja Zahur Ahmad, 64, was shot dead near his home in Satellite Town, Sargodha on October 4, 2012 at about 9:15 p.m. He was hit under his right ear. He was rushed to a hospital, but he expired on route.

The deceased was facing heightened opposition from clerics for the past few months. On one occasion extremists had gathered outside his home and shouted slogans. He had no personal vendetta with anybody. He was killed only for his faith.

Khawaja Zahur Ahmad

A wave of anti-Ahmadi propaganda has engulfed the Punjab for months, and Ahmadis have been called Wajib-ul-Qatl (must be killed) by the mullas in their rallies. The authorities have shown little interest in putting a stop to this campaign.

The deceased has left behind a widow, two sons and three daughters.


Killing of an Ahmadi in Ghatialian

Ghatialian, District Sialkot; October 18, 2012:         Mr. Riaz Ahmad Basra, Ahmadi was shot dead in Ghatialian, District Sialkot on October 18, 2012 while on his way home from the mosque after the evening (Isha) prayers.

There is sectarian tension in Ghatialian and the opponents of Ahmadis targeted the Ahmadiyya mosque there. Mr. Riaz Basra, an Ahmadi activist, was defending this mosque in a court.

Mr. Riaz Ahmad

A mulla, Qari Afzal is stoking the sectarian fire in Ghatialian these days. He is the one who had gone to the police and the court against the Ahmadiyya mosque. He continues to instigate the locals against Ahmadis who now are of the opinion that it is he who persuaded the opponent family to commit this murder as the conditions were favourable for any such action against Ahmadis.


Still another Ahmadi killed for his faith

Quetta; November 11, 2012:  Mr. Manzoor Ahmad, aged 33, was shot dead by unknown assailants near his house on November 11, 2012 at 0900. He was hit by two bullets on his forehead. He was immediately taken to a hospital where he succumbed to injuries.

He was a prominent Ahmadi in his neighbourhood. He had no personal vendetta with anyone. He was facing religious hatred and hostility for some time. Mullas constantly provoked the public against Ahmadis there. The administration failed to take effective action against these preachers of hate.

Mr. Manzoor Ahmad

Mr. Ahmad’s brother, Mr. Maqsud Ahmad was kidnapped two years ago, but was released after the payment of ransom. Mr. Manzoor Ahmad was a practicing Ahmadi and is survived by a widow, two daughters, a son and parents.

A press release issued by the Ahmadiyya central office stated:

“Killing an Ahmadi youth in Quetta after series of killings of Ahmadis in Karachi indicates that miscreants are busy in anti-Ahmadi violence in the country. Provocative and hate-arousing literature against Ahmadis is distributed profusely all over the country.

            “Authorities have been informed of this repeatedly but they take no effective action. ‘It is essential that to curb such regrettable incidents, this wave of hatred and violence against Ahmadis should be brought to a halt, and those involved in the violence should be punished in accordance with the law,’ said the Ahmadiyya spokesman.”


Another Ahmadi target-killed in Quetta for his faith

Quetta; December 7, 2012:    Mr. Maqsud Ahmad an Ahmadi businessman was killed in Quetta by unidentified motor-cycle riders. He had gone in the morning to leave his children at school. On the way, he was approached by two men who shot him in the head four times. Mr. Ahmad died before he could receive medical aid. He was 31. No arrests have followed.

Only four weeks ago, his elder brother, Mr. Manzoor Ahmad was likewise killed in the same city. The assassins remained untraced. Perhaps it was the same group who committed these two murders of Ahmadis of the same family. It would be correct to assume that the authorities did nothing after the first murder to deter a second one.

Mr. Maqsud Ahmad is survived by his widow, a daughter and a son.

Mr. Maqsud Ahmad

Mr. Ahmad was kidnapped two years ago. He was released after obtaining a heavy amount as ransom. The criminals involved in this series of heinous crimes seem to be from some extremist religious organization, which is particularly hateful against Ahmadis in particular. These people or at least their organizations are well-known to the authorities in Quetta.

The deceased enjoyed good reputation. He had no personal vendetta with anyone. However, he was a practicing Ahmadi. He was targeted only for his faith.

Leave a Reply