Anti-Ahmadi sectarian agitation at Jhelum
Jhelum: The president of the Ahmadiyya Community of Mahmud Abad received a lengthy printed letter in January that raised a number of theological issues (no objection to that), but then indulged in mockery and insult to the holy founder of the Ahmadiyya Jamaat. It instigated Ahmadis against their leadership and employed calumny, slander and vulgarity. It gave the website address of its compilers.
In addition to the above, they circulated a pamphlet that exhorted people to boycott all products and services by Ahmadi proprietors, in particular Shezan, Zaiqa, Shahtaj Sugar and OCS. It exhorted the readers to kill all claimants to prophecy, and urged them to play their part in extermination of this great evil by the suggested commercial boycott. It concluded:
“Remember, the first sign of your love for Allah’s Prophet is the hatred of his enemies.
“Reproduce as many photo copies as possible of this leaflet and distribute them to participate in the renaissance of the Ummah.
Address: Almi Majlis Tahaffuz Khatme Nabuwwat
Street No. 49 Sector G-6/1-3 Islamabad
Note: The authorities do not have to indulge in tiresome investigations to locate this centre of extremists; they are bold and carefree enough to advertise their address.
The Jhelum chapter of the Khatme Nabuwwat Organization has undertaken various other means to propagate sectarian hatred. They have printed glossy colorful stickers and distributed them. One of them, for instance, conveys:
Anyone, who considers that social boycott of Qadianis is transgression and unfair, is himself outside the pale of Islam. Maulana Ahmad Raza Khan Brelvi, Rahmatullah
Maestros of hate infect Lahore
Lahore: Wahdat Colony, Lahore was chosen by anti-Ahmadi lunatics in May to splash the message of sectarian hate all over. Multi-colored glazed stickers were prepared and pasted on gates, walls, gas-meters etc to convey the message. The messages exploited the sentiment of Muslims’ love for the Holy Prophet (pbuh); for example:
- O Muslim, when you meet a Qadiani, it hurts the heart of the Mustafa (Holy Prophet) in the Green Dome (of his tomb). (Picture of the dome at Madina was printed on the sticker)
- One who is friend of a Mirzai (Ahmadi) is a traitor to the Holy Master (peace be on him).
Note: The sticker carried pictures of the Islamic Holy sites in Makkah and Madina. On it were also printed the seal of the Holy Prophet and two crossed swords.
- O Muslim, in case you expire while shaking hand with a Qadiani, what shall be your retribution? (This sticker bore sketch of a dead man in pall on a stretcher.)
These band-leaders of hate do not hesitate to show their contempt for the state rhetoric in favor of tolerance and enlightenment; they printed their addresses on the stickers, as:
Sheran e Islam (Lions of Islam): Mohallah Naqsh Lasani Nagar, Gamtala Road, Shakar Garh
Tehrik Tahaffuz Khatme Nabuwwat: Markazi Jame Masjid Hanfia Farooqia, Gulistan Colony Mustafa Abad, Lahore
When the authorities take no action against these people, they find it convenient and get encouraged to mount attacks as the one at Nishtar Park at Karachi in April in which 58 were killed.
Rabwah suffers barrage of ill-will against Ahmadis
Rabwah; April 10 and 11, 2006: Majlis Ahrar Islam was permitted and facilitated by the authorities to hold a two-day conference at Rabwah. The proceedings of the conference, its rhetoric and resolutions were given wide coverage by the vernacular press. As usual, the mullah used the platform of Khatme Nabuwwat to promote his national and international agenda in politics. His primary target, however, was the Ahmadiyya community. Following is quoted from the Conference reports in the daily Pakistan, Lahore of 13 April and the daily Din of 14 April:
The anti-Ahmadiyya theme
- Qadianis are a duplicate of Jewish Community; they are working all over the world to promote Jewish agenda. Hundreds of Qadianis are members of Israeli army. Qadiani mission in Israel is the slaughter house of Muslim interests.
- Today we are working in Rabwah to awaken the Muslims, and we shall force the infidels (Qadianis) to flee.
- It is our religious duty to disclose Qadiani plans. Qadianis intend to create a law and order situation in Rabwah, and are busy in provocative activities.
- Mirza Qadiani was sponsored by British imperialists to negate the concept of Jihad.
- As Qadianis are guilty of terrorism against Islam and Muslims; they usurp Muslims’ rights and are holding key posts…. (they) are blasphemous against Prophets; are active in every anti-Islam lobby the world over. They have disclosed nuclear secrets to the U.S., and are responsible for the drive against Dr. Qadeer. Behind all sectarian clashes, Qadianis are the operatives. On the issue of blasphemous caricatures, the West and Denmark have placed Qadiani approval on record. If Qadianis submit themselves to the dogma of End of Prophethood, we shall hand over our institutions to them and respect them as elder brothers.
- Qadianis are traitors to Islam and are rebels against the country and its constitution. According to Sharia, they are apostates, and we demand the same treatment (of death) to them as was meted out to apostates by our First Caliph, Syedna Abu Bakr.
- Qadianis are playing a most dangerous game (in Pakistan) behind the veil of human rights, social and educational services and NGOs.
- We demand that the punishment of apostasy (death) be legislated in Pakistan, as per recommendation of the Islamic Ideology Council. Religion should be mentioned on National Identity Cards.
- Resemblance of Qadiani places of worship with mosques should be put to end.
On International and National Politics
- In a resolution, anti-Islam and anti-Muslim policies of American and European imperial forces were strongly condemned.
- Government of Pakistan was appealed to take a clear stand, in view of the loathsome activities of the evil forces operating in the name of democracy in Iraq and Afghanistan.
- All restrictions on Dr Qadeer should be lifted.
- The deteriorating law and order in the country is a proof of failure of the government.
- The attitude of the West and the U.S. are expressive of their enmity to mankind and Islam.
- Our incompetent rulers have failed to represent the feelings of protest of Muslim masses on the issue of blasphemous caricatures, as the stability of their thrones is dependent upon the mercy of the World of Infidelity; these thrones eventually will topple, and the people will succeed.
- Those who uphold secular politics over and above the religious are guilty of (crimes against) the Ummah.
- The present government is conspiring to give a political role to Qadianis.
Syed Ataul Mohaiman, Prof Khalid Shabbir Ahmad; Maulanas: Abdul Hafeez Makki, Zahid ur Rashdi, Qaziul Hussani, Abdullah Ludhianvi, Abdur Razzaq, Karimullah, Manzoor Ahmad and Mughirah; Qaris: Yusuf Ahrar, Jalilur Rehman and Shabbir Ahmad Usmani; Hafiz Muhammad Abid, Masood Dogar, Aslam Alipuri (from Denmark), Abdul Latif Khalid Cheema, Syed Kafeel Bokhari etc.
The procession etc
The daily Pakistan reported the following:
“At the end of the Conference, as usual, the sons of Unity (Farzandane Touhid), the Mujahideen of Khatme Nabuwwat and the Red Shirt Ahrar took out an unparalleled procession after the afternoon service. The participants were holding big banners and red-colored crescent standards. When they marched past the Degree College in a formation style, peacefully reciting the Kalima and Drud, their chants and slogans produced a strange effect. Rabwah was resonating with sky-high slogans of ‘Death to Mirzaiat (Ahmadiyyat); Long Live – End of Prophethood’.”
The following happened but was not reported by the press
- When the mullah Allah Yar Arshad was told by the local SHO that he would not be allowed to take out a procession unless permitted by the District Police Officer, the mullah applied there and then, and he received his permission from the DPO readily. On the other hand, Ahmadis apply for their traditional Conference in their own town months in advance, and they do not get even an acknowledgement of their application. This has been going on for more than 20 years.
- The mullahs who organized this conference were mostly from other cities like Multan, Chichawatni, Toba Tek Singh etc. They were from the discredited Majlis Ahrar Islam that precipitated anti-Ahmadiyya riots in 1953 that resulted in the fall of the political government of the Punjab and the Centre. A high-level Court of Inquiry gave the verdict: “The conduct of the Ahrar calls for the strongest comments and is especially reprehensible”.
- The Ahrar repeated the lie of 10,000 deaths in anti-Ahmadiyya agitation in 1953 at the hand of security forces, and had it reported in all the vernacular press in their press-release. The Court of Inquiry, in its prestigious report of historical value, acknowledged the death of 23 rioters at the hand of the police and military and 115 injured, in Lahore that was the centre of riots and agitation. “In some other towns also there were a number of casualties caused by firing by the police or the military”, the Court accepted. The Court’s report, in an another chapter, counted the casualties town-wise, and counted 5 dead and 11 injured in Sialkot, none in Gujranwala, 1 dead and 6 injured in Rawalpindi, 7 dead and 5 injured in Lyallpur (Faisalabad) and 1 dead in Montgomery. So according to the official count in that high-level Court of Inquiry the total number of dead agitators at the hand of security forces was 37. The mullah now routinely declares the number of ‘martyrs’ in those riots as 10,000. The mullah in Pakistan follows Adolf Hitler who observed, “The broad masses of the people…will more easily fall victims to a big lie than to a small one.” (Mein Kampf)
- The mullah made the following remarks and demands also:
– A Qadiani is the greatest blasphemer of the Holy Prophet.
– Those who deny End of Prophethood cannot be well-wishers of the country.
– Qadianis are traitors to both Islam and the country.
– Majlis Ahrar is ready to sacrifice every thing to safeguard the dogma of Khatme Nabuwwat.
– Rulers, who favor the U.S. – Quit
– Democracy is a satanic system of government
– The only cure of the West – Al Jihad, Al Jihad
– Those who are guilty of Blasphemy must be put to death – – – Hand over the accused blasphemers to Muslims.
- Organizers of this conference distributed sectarian literature at the occasion including a provocative pamphlet titled: Ahrar ka Qafila e Tahaffuz Khatme Nabuwwat composed by Syed Muhammad Kafeel Bokhari. It boldly displays its origin at:
Majlis Ahrar Islam
Dar e Bani Hashim
Mehrban Colony Multan
The pamphlet exhorts the state and society to kill all the apostates. It lists all the major madrassahs under Ahrari management and makes an appeal for Rs 10 million annually to be sent to the following address/account:
Phone: 061-4511961, 0300-6326621
By Bank: Cheque or Draft to Syed Muhammad Kafil Bokhari, Madrassah Ma’amurah
Current A/C No. 3017-2, United Bank Limited Kutchehri Rd. Multan
On Line: 010-3017-2 Bank Code: 0165
- There was a great deal that was so indecent that it defies reporting here. However, all that must be on record with official intelligence agencies.
The mullah correctly remarked in the Conference that Majlis Tahaffuz Khatme Nabuwwat and Majlis Ahrar Islam mean almost one and the same thing. So the Ahrar (a political party) is using the platform of Khatme Nabuwwat (in religious garb), and is provided the sanction by the government to promote its wicked national and international interests. Ahrar’s conference and procession at Rabwah defied blatantly the declared policy of the government on sectarian activities. These proceedings in Rabwah at the blessed occasion of the Birthday of the Holy Prophet PBUH were the most rabid and provocative than anywhere else in the district, the province and the country. The government ought to take suitable action to establish credibility of its declared policy, as also to nip the resurgence of Ahrar in the bud. Their harmful nature was abundantly made clear in the prestigious REPORT of THE COURT OF INQUIRY constituted under PUNJAB ACT II OF 1954 to enquire into the PUNJAB DISTURBANCES OF 1953.
A typical Khatme Nabuwwat Conference at Rabwah facilitated by authorities, despite the ban
Rabwah; September 7, 2006: Prior to this conference in September, the Ahmadiyya community expressed its concern in a news bulletin titled Let’s see: “The mullah had announced with the beat of the drum that he would hold two major Khatme Nabuwwat Conference at Rabwah on 7 and 21 September 2006. According to the APP, the Government of the Punjab has directed all District Governments to forbid all religious open-air meetings, gatherings, processions, rallies etc under clause 144 for 30 days w.e.f. September 01 (the daily Din, August 24, 2006). It would be interesting to see again as to how the government deals with the mullah in a situation that concerns Ahmadis. Its past record does not inspire confidence that the authorities will take a stand against the Mullah”. And sure enough, the government made the exception, and granted special permission to the clerics to hold the conference – despite years of repeated experience about the highly objectionable nature and content of these sectarian gatherings.
The mullah made no secret of his intentions; he knows that he does not have to. He announced: “This Khatme Nabuwwat Conference will be the last nail in the coffin of Qadianiat. S.P. Chinioti” (The daily Pakistan, Lahore; September 3, 2006). The daily Nawa-i-Waqt of September 5, 2006 quoted Mullah Shabbir Usmani at this occasion: “The Qadiani element is an ugly mark on the body of the Muslim Ummah; it is a cancer and we shall continue to strive till its elimination.” The authorities took no action against these mullahs nor against these newspapers for adding fuel to the fire of sectarianism, although the government’s declared policy is to firmly discourage sectarian agitation. It is rather comic that it was announced that Hafiz Tahir Mahmud Ashrafi, the Advisor to the Chief Minister of the Punjab for Promotion of Religious Harmony would participate as a Special Guest (Mehman Khususi) in the Khatme Nabuwwat Conference scheduled on September 5, 2006 at Sargodha (Nawa-i-Waqt; September 5, 2006). Unbelievable, but true.
The conference was held at Madrassah Usmania in the so-called Muslim Colony of Rabwah, and was named the 19th Annual International Khatme Nabuwwat Conference, Chenab Nagar. Banners were put up in advance; the writings on some of these are translated below:
- Qadianis should be fired from all the key posts, and religion column should be added to the National Identity Card.
- Announcement should be made to implement Islam in Pakistan.
- The Shariah penalty (of death) for apostasy should be enforced.
- The government should take over Qadiani Auqaf (endowments and charities).
- The anti-Qadiani Ordinance should be strictly enforced.
- Qadiani places of worship should be made not to look like mosques, so as not to deceive Muslims.
- We shall spare no sacrifice to defend madrassahs.
- The Declarations (permissions to publish) of Qadiani periodicals should be revoked.
- Qadianis are enemies of the country. Rulers, desist from supporting them.
- We salute the great who waged Jihad against the mischief of Qadianiat.
- Muslims of Chenab Nagar should be provided protection.
Whither human rights? Not that the mullah is not aware of them; he is well aware, and he is cunning enough to pose as the grieved party through the text of the banner at Serial 11 above.
The conference started at 11:45. A mobile procession arrived from Chiniot to join the conference after dark at about 21:30. They were riding a van, two cars and scores of motor cycles. This procession had been instructed to come to the venue through the Muslim Colony, but they violated the orders and came all the way into Rabwah, hurled invectives at Ahmadis, shouted slogans and undertook rowdy behavior. The police did not stop them, or interrupt them. Ahmadis restrained their youth from responding to the provocation. On arrival at the conference they boasted from the stage: “Mirzais switched off their lights and hid themselves inside their homes.”
The speeches at the conference were the same as before: abusive, slanderous, provocative, political and sectarian. According to the daily Jang, Lahore of September 9, 2006: “Maulana Abdul Hafeez Makki said that …. Crusaders and Zionist forces have lost balance, and being afraid of Islam, they are indulging in propaganda and giving a bad name to Muslims by labeling them extremists and terrorists. Allama Qari Tayyab Qasim remarked in his address that incompetent rulers, short-sighted politicians and fortune seekers have made the country a pawn in support of imperialist powers. … Mufti Zia Madni urged all Muslims to unite to counter the conspiracies of Qadianis. Maulana Sami ul Haq, the Jamiat leader (JUI) stated in his message that he and his colleagues will continue to work in collaboration with the leaders of Tahaffuz Khatme Nabuwwat to safeguard this dogma, and against the mischief of Qadianiat. Abdul Rehman Yaqub Bawa, the head of the Khatme Nabuwwat Academy at London said in his message on internet that the end of Qadianiat is near, people (awaam) should launch a united movement against them and they will be supported by his group.
The above is not all that was said. Most of their outbursts were not fit for reporting in the press. We translate here only some of their remarks; these must have been recorded by the intelligence agencies. Mullah Allah Yar Arshad said “If Bugti can be killed in attack, why an attack is not launched against Chenab Nagar where the law is violated and the town is being turned into an Israel.” Mullah Ilyas Chinioti said, “Akbar Bugti was shot dead as a traitor, but Mirza Masroor Ahmad Qadiani is a fugitive from the country, a traitor. Why don’t they shoot him? Qadianis do not enlist as voters. They are traitors to the law and Constitution; impose Sharia penalty on them.” Maulvi Irfan Mahmud of Lahore said, “Qadianis are the greatest mischief in the universe. Get ready to face them.” Hafiz Abbas of Lahore said, “Mirza Qadiani, let alone a prophet, was not even a good man.” Mulla Iftikhar of Khanewal said, “Qadianis have dropped themselves in a ditch. They have died their own death. They are backing every obscenity (be-hayai).” Qari Umar Farooq of Lahore said, “We shall not let any Qadiani become a member of the National Assembly.” The conference ended at 3 a.m.
Apart from the above, some speakers said things that we do not have the nerve to reproduce. An average human male will not utter those words before an average male audience, in Pakistan. These were extremely provocative and offensive. It is disgraceful indeed that the government of ‘the land of the pure’ allows that kind of profanity in a public religious gathering. This observation is made with particular reference to what Advocate Badi uz Zaman of Lahore said with reference to the Holy Founder of the Ahmadiyya Community.
At the end of the conference a number of resolutions were passed. These were, inter alia.:
- Recently an American journal published a map in which Baluchistan has been shown as an independent state. We condemn this and demand of the government to remain vigilant against dangerous objectives of the satanic game of global powers.
- Qadiani lobby is at the back of the long detention and media trial of Dr Abdul Qadeer Khan. Dr Khan is a great benefactor of the country, the nation and the Ummah. The entire nation feels concerned over his cancer illness. The government should arrange his treatment without delay and remove all restrictions imposed on him.
- The proposed Amendments to the Hudood Ordinance bill run counter to Islamic teachings and eastern tradition. The government should immediately withdraw this bill.
- Shariah penalty (of death) for apostasy should be imposed as recommended by the Islamic Ideology Council.
- Fresh voters’ list should be prepared on the basis of Muslim and Non-Muslim.
- The permission to publish all Qadiani periodicals and journals should be cancelled.
- Green belts, roads etc. in Chenab Nagar should all be transferred to the TMA and possession taken (Note: Green belts, parks etc in Rabwah are purchased property of the Ahmadiyya Community.)
- Proselytizing activities of Qadianis should be stopped. Anti-Qadiani Ordinance should be enforced vigorously. Qadianis should be removed from key posts. Column of religion should be introduced in the National Identity Card, or the cards for non-Muslim religious minorities should be of a different color.
- The government should take over all the Qadiani Auqaf, like other Muslim and non-Muslim Auqaf.
Would it not be almost impossible to prepare another list of public demands more obscurantist and regressive than this one in the early 21st century? Also, it is for consideration whether these conferences, held under the cover of religious umbrella are not essentially political?
The leading figures who organized and participated in some way in this conference were Mullah Abdul Hafeez of Makka; Mullah Abdul Rehman Yaqub Bawa of London (by internet); Mullah Shabbir A Usmani; Mullah Ilyas Chinioti; Mullah Muhammad Hanif Mughal of Chiniot; Mullah Muhammad Ahmad Ludhianwi of Kamaliya; Mullah Nazir-ul-Hasan Thanwi of Australia (on internet); Mullah Sami ul Haq of JUI (sent message); Hafiz Muhammad Yusuf; Mufti Zia Ahmad Madni, Advocate Badi uz Zaman of Lahore, Mullah Allah Yar Arshad, Mullah Yahya Marth of Hafizabad etc.
After the conference, the authorities reportedly registered a criminal case against Mullahs Abdul Hafeez Makki, Tayyab Qasmi, Raheel Ahmad, Ilyas Chinioti, Yahya Marth, Zia Madni, Allah Yar Arshad etc for making provocative speeches. However no arrest was made and the FIR was sealed (i.e. no further action, at present) (The daily Pakistan, Lahore September 10, 2006). Adv. Badi-uz-Zaman the band leader in obscenity was not charged in the FIR. Does it mean that authorities allow that kind of language in public against Ahmadi holy personages? Some of these very mullahs who were charged but not detained, then went on to Sargodha and committed the same offence there for which no further action had been taken by authorities at Rabwah. Obviously paper action against the mullah is mutually convenient to the two parties, the clerics and the authorities.
On the other hand, the government registered an FIR against Ahmadi pressmen, and arrested Mr. Sultan Ahmad Dogar on imprecise accusation that the daily Alfazl prints hate-promoting material. The authorities did not mention precisely the passages that were considered objectionable. The case and the arrest was obviously malafide and vicious.
Although the Quaid-i-Azam assured the people of Pakistan and the world that Pakistan will not be a theocracy, it is very nearly in the tight grip of clerics with support of powers that be.
President Musharraf spoke at the annual meeting of the Clinton Global Initiative at New York recently and said, “The focus had now shifted from Al Qaeda to the Taliban and warned: Taliban are more dangerous because they have roots in the people of Afghanistan, Pakistan and the tribal areas” (The Dawn; Sept 21, 2006). Is it difficult to see where some of these Taliban or their supporters had assembled on September 7, 2006?
Ahmadiyya headquarters wrote a letter to all the concerned political and administrative authorities forewarning them of the impropriety of permitting this conference at Rabwah. After its conclusion they wrote another letter to the concerned officials.
Other Khatme Nabuwwat Conferences
Khatme Nabuwwat is an issue that is considered of substantial political value by most politico-religious groups. So they all try not to miss out on its real or imaginary dividends. A few of these are mentioned below briefly:
- Sargodha: The conference was held at Jame Masjid and was attended among others by Hafiz Tahir Ashrafi, the Advisor to the Government of the Punjab.
- A conference was held under the arrangements of Majlis Ahrar Islam. It was remarked there that if the president is born a hundred times, he will not be able to undo the constitutional amendment of 1974 concerning Mirzais and the 1984 anti-Qadiani Act. The conference expressed great concern over the government intention to follow the American and European agenda to disturb Islamic laws framed in the light of the Quran and Sunnah, particularly the attempt to neutralize the Hudood Ordinance and promote fornication and adultery (The daily Pakistan, Lahore; Sept 9, 2006).
- Tajdar Khatme Nabuwwat Conference was held at the Lahore Press Club by the JUP. It was said emphatically there that the people will reject those who seek to amend the Hudood Ordinance. The MQM, the government and Qadianis are trying to undo Pakistan. … We defeated the government on the issue of including religion column in the passport, likewise, on the issue of the Hudood Ordinance, the victory will be that of Islamic and religious power groups. … India, the US and Israel are a threat to Pakistan’s solidarity. …etc. Leaders of Jamaat Islami, Grand Democratic Alliance and Khaksar Tehrik also addressed the conference (The Daily Jinnah, Lahore; September 8, 2006).
- The daily Pakistan organized a Pakistan Forum with reference to 7 September, at Lahore. A number of clerics were invited, and the paper gave ample space to the proceedings at the forum. Mullahs of Qaumi Ulema Council, World Pasban Khatme Nabuwwat etc participated. They paid glowing tributes to Zulfiquar Bhutto and General Zia for their great services in the realm of Khatme Nabuwwat, and expressed hope that this will suffice for their atonement in the life hereafter (the daily Pakistan, Lahore; September 7, 2006). It would be recalled that Mr. Bhutto was overthrown by General Zia after an agitation led by mullahs and later ended up on gallows, while the general himself perished in an air crash in 1988.
- Chiniot: Advocate Rab Nawaz, self-styled chief of the Khatme Nabuwwat Lawyers’ Forum arranged a seminar at Chiniot on this occasion. He said that Qadianis and Lahoris who call themselves Ahmadi turn to Washington for guidance. They, in conjunction with CIA and RAW are involved in religious violence in the dear country. … Qadiani lobby is responsible for 16,000 deaths in the shia-sunni conflict. He paid great tribute to Zulfiquar Ali Bhutto, then Prime Minister, parliamentarians at the time, and the leaders of Khatme Nabuwwat movement (for the anti-Ahmadiyya amendment to the constitution) (The daily Pakistan, Lahore; September 10, 2006).
Anti-Ahmadiyya Conference at Chiniot
Chiniot; 26/27 February, 2006. A two-day ‘Fatah Mubahila Conference’ was held at Chiniot, neighbor town of Rabwah, by the Ulema under the auspices of International Khatme Nabuwwat Movement. The main theme of this conference is always anti-Ahmadiyya, but the clerics mix it with their other objectives – national and international politics. The daily Jang of Lahore reported the proceedings of the Conference under three-column headlines on 27 and 28 February. On both days it was reiterated by the mullahs that they will continue their drive till the extinction of Ahmadiyyat.
The Ulama availed of the occasion to lash out at their perceived enemies abroad. The caricatures issue provided them plenty of fuel for this purpose, so they dwelt on this at length and undertook:
- Strong condemnation of the blasphemous cartoons
- Urged the government to break diplomatic relations with European countries, and recall Pakistani ambassadors
- Demanded the authorities to release all the detainees and withdraw all cases and stop all torture and detention against the leaders and workers involved in protest
Maulana Pir Abdur Rahim Naqshbandi stated that the publication of blasphemous caricatures was an American conspiracy. The conference demanded that recommendations of the Islamic Ideological Council be implemented in the country and non-Sharia laws be abrogated. (The Council has recommended that apostates be put to death). The government was urged to ‘keep a watchful eye on the anti-state and anti-Islam activities of Qadianis. The conference declared that as Chiniot was a sensitive town (!), Qadiani officials should be transferred from here as they ‘because of their evil nature continue to create difficulties for the people’. (This is mullah’s way of harassing the few Ahmadi functionaries wherever he finds them).
According to the Daily Jang those who addressed the conference included: Qari Khalil Siraj, Zahid Qasimi, Shabbir Usmani, Latif Khalid Cheema, Abubakr, Ramzan Usmani Ishtiaq, Badr Alam Chinioti, Sanaullah Chiniot, Hafeez Makki, Ilyas Chinioti.
Attack on Ahmadis’ freedom of expression and press
Rabwah: Despite the declared and much-trumpeted policy of ‘Freedom of Press’ of the present regime, its functionaries raided the office of the Ahmadiyya daily “Alfazl’ on September 9, 2006 and arrested Mr. Sultan Ahmad Dogar the printer of the daily. They charged him under the anti-Ahmadi laws PPC 298 B and C, and 9 ATA (Anti-Terrorism-Act). The application of 9 ATA was preposterous. Approximately two months later the authorities registered a second similar case against the printer and publisher and ‘others’ of the daily Alfazl.
Yet another Khatme Nabuwwat conference at Rabwah
Rabwah; 21 and 22 September 2006. The Almi Majlis Tahaffuz Khatme Nabuwwat faction, with centre at Multan, were permitted by the government to hold their 25th Annual 2-day Conference at Rabwah on 21, 22 September. They held it in the yard of the Masjid Abu Bakr Siddique in the so-called Muslim Colony. Khawaja Khan Muhammad, the Amir and Syed Nafis Shah Alhussaini, the Deputy Amir organized the function. Qazi Hussain Ahmad (President MMA and Amir Jamaat Islami) participated as the special guest speaker. Numerous other Ulema addressed the conference.
Maximum attendance was approximately 2,500. In all, five sessions were held. In a special meeting, attended only by Deobandi clerics, Khawja Khan Muhammad and Syed Al-Hussaini were reappointed as Amir and Naib Amir for the next three years. The Amir was given the authority to nominate other officials of the Majlis. All the Maulvis indulged in almost the same type of rhetoric as that in the conference of September 7, so that need not be repeated in this story. Brief mention is made below of what was significant in the speech of Qazi Hussain Ahmad and also whatever was different and noteworthy in the rhetoric of other clerics.
Qazi Hussain arrived in company of 80/90 followers. In his address, he said, inter alia: “Mirza Ghulam Ahmad Qadiani conspired to destroy the unity of the Ummah and put an end to Jihad. … It is wrong for the US State Department to demand an end to the anti-Qadiani laws; in fact, Qadianis enjoy great concessions here, and they are never treated with discrimination. If the Qadiani leadership’s authority is broken, half the population of Chenab Nagar will curse Qadianism, and become Muslims. (The daily Jinnah, Lahore; September 23, 2006) . The daily Express of September 23 quoted the Qazi as, inter alia: “ I assure you that I am with you at every step. The MMA and Majlis Khatme Nabuwwat have come into being only to mount effort against evil.”
Other noteworthy quotes: Maulvi Muhammad Din of Bhakkar said: “Pervez Musharraf is comrade (Pitthu) of Qadianis. From where did he get his enlightened moderation? From Mirzaiat, and he is supporting Qadianis in London and the US; thus raising issues of amendments to (Hudood) laws”. Maulvi Bokhari of Sahiwal said: “The US and their gangsters are facing humiliation at the hand of Muslims in Afghanistan and Iraq. There is no difference between Mirzais and Jews.” “Qadianis provided Pakistani nuclear secret programs to the US. They prepared a fake grave of Dr Abdul Qadeer and beat it up with shoes”, said mullah Tahir Abdur Razzaq of Lahore. Hafiz Zaheer of Lahore came up with a new slogan: “We shall not rest till the flag of Khatme Nabuwwat is raised at the Parliament in Islamabad”. Advocate Badi uz Zaman was right, in a way: “Qadiani population has reached 10 million mark in Pakistan”. Maulvi Murad of Sindh indulged in the theme of comparative religion: “Christians keep on making changes to their Gospels, while the Muslims’ book has remained in its original content. Just as Jews and Christians stand on falsehood, so do the Qadianis.” Mullah Ghafur Haideri of Peshawar was more political: “Qadianis are promoting disunity and confusion in the country. The General should be forthright and take harsh action against them. Whatever is happening in North Waziristan and Baluchistan, is the work of Qadianis and their patrons. Hundreds of thousand have become Muslims after 9/11. Qadianis are responsible to make the Hudood laws controversial.” He also lashed out at the judiciary: “Judges take brief cases full of (currency) notes, and give decisions accordingly. They have no conscience.”
The banners at the Conferences included the following:
- Boycott all the Shezan products
- Qadianiat is a branch of Judaism
- There is no justification to give government jobs to apostates (Ahmadis)
- (Authorities should) carry out raids at the autonomous state of Rabwah
The conference passed a number of resolutions, inter alia:
- This gathering demands a ban on nonsensical discussions and debates on TV channels and the print media regarding Qadiani laws, Islamic laws etc. The activity should be declared culpable offence.
- This assemblage strongly condemns the slander and blasphemy undertaken by the Pope.
The participants raised slogans; most of these were anti-Ahmadiyya. At a book stall, they distributed highly provocative anti-Ahmadiyya pamphlets and leaflets.
Events unfold to nail a lie of clerics
It would be recalled that on October 7, 2005 a group of three opened fire on Ahmadis at Mong District Mandi Bahauddin, who were offering their morning prayers in congregation at their mosque. Eight Ahmadis died in the attack while a score were injured. The criminal attack was condemned by the authorities, the media, NGOs and all the decent people, generally. Once again, the evil of sectarianism had struck and taken its toll. ‘It must be stopped’, was the general reaction. However, the malicious mullah gave it another twist, and insisted that the carnage was result of ‘internal strife of Qadianis’. The mulla used the vernacular press to air his assertion:
The killings at Mandi Bahauddin were the result of mutual grievances of Qadianis. (Maulana) Allah Wasaya (of Almi Majlis Tahaffuz Khatme Nabuwwat).
The daily Din, Lahore, November 26, 2005
While addressing an emergency session of the Action Committee, Chiniot Sub-Division of Majlis Amal and Tahaffuz Khatme Nabuwwat, Allah Yar Arshad, the Secretary Information said, “Qadianis are being expelled from Europe and are busy in conspiring to precipitate a fight between the government and Muslims so as to maintain their asylum position in Europe. The killings and injuries at Mandi Bahauddin that are a result of their mutual quarrels and property dispute are a link of this very scheme, and no Muslim is involved in the murders and injuries of Qadianis.”
The daily Jinnah, Lahore; November 29, 2005
“ The incident at Qadiani place of worship was first attributed incorrectly to the series of terrorism attacks, however its motive was different. According to some information, this incident was result of their mutual strife and animosity.”
The fortnightly Khatme Nabuwwat 1 to 15 November, 2005
Chicha Watni (correspondent): Maulana Allah Wasaya, a top leader of the Almi Majlis Khatme Nabuwwat said: “ The incident of murder of 8 and injuries to many by firing of two masked men at the Qadiani place of worship in village Mong of Mandi Bahauddin was certainly not an act of terrorism or a Mirzai – Muslim clash, but was the result of mutual strife of two contending groups of the Qadiani community…..”
The daily Nawa-i-Waqt, Lahore; November 26, 2005
Almost a year later, the authorities have finally arrested all the three accused who undertook the attack. No less a person than Regional Police Officer Gujranwala, Malik Muhammad Iqbal said so, and the daily Pakistan of 6 October 2006 and the daily Jang of 5 October 2006 carried the story that the mastermind of the attack Arshad alias Doctor was also arrested. He and his colleagues belong to the banned Jaish Muhammad and were involved in other terrorist attacks also.
Where do the mullahs of Tahaffuz Khatme Nabuwwat stand now? They should go in hiding, if they have any conscience.
Fazlur Rehman acts nutty as a fruitcake
Birmingham: According to a report published on the front page of the daily Jang, Lahore of August 17, 2006, Maulana Fazlur Rehman, the MMA’s Secretary General and the Leader of the Opposition in the National Assembly was on a visit to the United Kingdom where he addressed the first session of the Khatme Nabuwwat Conference. He reportedly spoke mostly on the subject of international politics, the war in Lebanon, and said little on the theme of ‘the end of prophethood’, the theme of the conference. He availed the occasion to indulge in rabid anti-Ahmadiyya rhetoric. According to the Jang, he said: “Qadianis have always acted as the front-line agents of international terrorism. Safeguarding Jewish interests is the foremost task of Qadianiyat. Qadianis are a political group who are active to pursue their agenda. Complete destruction of Muslims and Islam from the face of the earth, is an important part of their political aim. He said: ‘We are ready to shed the last drop of our blood to safeguard the dogma of the End of Prophethood’.”
The Maulana is known to generally hold his tongue in public, but it seems that in the free and democratic England he went overboard and lost all balance. He spoke as if he was addressing a procession in Qissa Khawni Bazaar at Peshawar or a crowd at Bhati Gate in Lahore. His sectarian drive and talk of ‘last drop of blood’ for a sectarian cause must have sounded out of place even to his audience in Birmingham. Why did he have to go all the way to the United Kingdom to persuade fellow Muslims to shed blood for a religious cause, as if not enough was not already spilling in Pakistan?
Statement of a high government official
Lahore: Statement of Hafiz Tahir Mahmud Ashrafi deserves to be reported, as he then held the august position of Advisor to the Government of the Punjab on Religious Affairs. He addressed the Khatme Nabuwwat Conference at Jame Mosque Gol Chauk, Sargodha in September and stated:
“The world was faced with clash of two civilizations; one is based on servitude to the Messenger of Allah, while the other is intended to be imposed on us by the Jews and Christians. As we are the believers in Kalima, we shall fight the war for the survival of the civilization inherited from the Holy Prophet (peace be on him). … As Muslims, we want unity and harmony among all sects and denominations, so long as it is based upon the End of Prophethood and the supremacy of the Unity of Allah. …. He made it clear that it is not possible to have solidarity with any one who preaches any other faith and considers that faith to be superior to Islam. He said that they (Muslims) were ever ready to sacrifice their lives and all that they have for safeguarding the (dogma of ) End of Prophethood. He said that it was not possible to have a compromise with the disbelievers in the Hudood of Allah, as these are not man-made laws, but are the commandments of Allah.” (The daily Jinnah, Lahore; September 8, 2006)
Is it not rather unbecoming and highly improper for a high official of the provincial government to air in public such views, in such language? It is quite possible that he only made public the policy directions of his employers in the Punjab.
A tale of two mullahs
After decades of official patronage and pampering, the Pakistani mullah has become very arrogant and highly unreasonable. On the Ahmadiyya issue, he exercises unbridled freedom, and accepts nothing short of total control. Below we produce English translation of two news reports issued by two mullahs. The tone and content of their statements shows the extent of spoiling that the clergy has undergone in Pakistan.
1. Mullah Faqir Muhammad calls himself the Secretary Information of Alami Majlis Khatme Nabuwwat. A few years ago, he faced imprisonment under the Goonda (Rascals) Act, and extracted himself from the situation only after an apology and a promise of good behavior. However, since then he has secured for himself a niche in the Khatme Nabuwwat organization. He has the audacity to demand closing down of the Rabwah railway station that serves not only Ahmadis of Rabwah but also all the non-Ahmadi population located within 200 square kilometers area around and whose number exceeds 60,000 – more than the Ahmadis in this area. The daily Aman, Faisalabad of December 19, 2006 carried the following report:
Chenab Nagar railway station should be closed down to avoid mischief by Qadianis.
Qadianis Jamaat should (then) be made to pay for the railway buildings and installations.
Poor Muslims who earn their living in the railways area should be provided protection. Secretary Information, Majlis Tahaffuz Khatme Nabuwwat
Faisalabad (press release): Maulvi Faqir Muhammad, Secretary Information Alami Majlis Tahaffuz Khatme Nabuwwat has demanded of the government and the General Manager Railway that in order to overcome the frequent mischief of Qadianis, the Chenab Nagar railway station should be closed down, and the Qadiani Jamaat should be made to pay for the railway buildings and installations. Also, the poor Muslims who earn their living from the Railway land should be provided protection. He said that in December 1974, Qadianis were declared a non-Muslim minority, Chenab Nagar was declared an open city and courts of Resident Magistrate and Assistant Tehsildar were established there; also criminal cases were registered (against Ahmadis) at police station Rabwah. The Muslim Alami Majlis constructed a mosque next to the Chenab Nagar railway station, with the permission of the federal government; it is called Jame Masjid Muhammadiyya and Friday and Eid congregational prayers are held there. The Qadianis Jamaat has illegally occupied all the grassy plots (In fact, all these are the property of the Ahmadi community) and enclosed these by barbed wire, and the station master of Chenab Nagar railway station works for the Qadiani Jamaat rather than the government.
2. Then there is mullah Hamadi of Tando Adam, another cleric spoiled by the authorities. Any efficient police outfit would have nominated him and proven in the court that this mullah was at least guilty of instigating numerous Ahmadi murders in the province of Sindh. Recently, he demanded that Ahmadis be fired from service in the national airline PIA. He had the following published in the daily Express, Karachi on December 9, 2006:
Why are you bothered about our jobs in PIA?
Qadianis’ letter to Allama Hamadi, the Chief of the Alami Majlis Tahaffuz Khatme Nabuwwat. (In fact, he is not the Chief: Ed.)
Tando Adam (press release): Your agony over service in the PIA. Qadianis’ letter to Allama Hamadi. Hafiz Muhammad Furqan Ansari, the Press Secretary of the Alami Majlis Tahaffuz Khatme Nabuwwat said in a statement that subsequent to the statement of Allama Hamadi to the press that Qadianis should be fired from their jobs in the PIA, they wrote him a threatening letter conveying that all government departments are open to them, and these will continue to provide jobs to Qadianis as it is their right. (They also referred to) Four great Qadiani patriots of Pakistan. For Sir Zafrullah Khan they used the epithet Raziullah Ta’ala Anho (May God be pleased with him); this is exclusively allowed only to the Companions. The other three names mentioned are Dr Abdus Salam Qadiani, Lieut. General Malik Akhtar Hussain and Mirza Muzaffar Hussain (sic); these have been called patrons of Pakistan, and that the world was impressed by them. According to the spokesman, the workers of the Alami Majlis Tahaffuz Khatme Nabuwwat are very grieved over this. Mujahideen of Khatme Nabuwwat consider that the Sindh Government is implicated in writing this letter. Qadianis never had the audacity to write such a letter. Now Qadianis have come out of their cage, and they write threatening letters to Muslims. Mujahideen strongly protest to the Sindh and Federal governments and urge them to put a stop to such terrorism, by being vigilant against Qadiani mischief. We shall not tolerate this terrorism and threats to our leaders. Our leader Allama Ahmad Mian Hamadi has forcibly restrained us to be peaceful otherwise we would have undertaken a massacre of Qadianis in Pakistan. However, if the government takes no notice of this terrorism and threatening letter, we shall ourselves undertake revenge, thereby Qadianis will not find a place to hide. The spokesman added that earlier also, Qadianis had written such letters on the issue of Sonami. However, they do not give their address. “If they have some moral courage, they should write the letter giving their full address and phone number; they will be given a (suitable) reply”, he said.
How is that from a divine!
An obvious contradiction in implementation of the policy against extremism
The daily Jang, Lahore in its issue of January 22, 2006 gave three stories that deserve notice and comment. It reported quoting its staff reporter at Sargodha:
445 Ulama and Zakirs (Shia) barred from entry into Sargodha Division
In the second report it reported:
22 Ulama barred from entry in Chiniot (during the month of Muharram)
The question arises: If the government can conveniently take these reasonable precautionary measures for communal peace, what makes it violate its own policy, when it permits and facilitates dozens of rabid anti-Ahmadi ulama to congregate at Rabwah a number of times every year, e.g. this year on April 10 and 11 and then on September 7 and again on September 22 and 23.
In another story the daily Jang reported the same day:
“The liar Shahbaz who claimed to be Imam Mahdi should be stoned to death along with his colleagues -Maulana Allah Yar Arshad.
The leader of the End of Prophethood Movement, Allah Yar Arshad stated that, ‘(N)o leniency should be shown to the liar, apostate, fake Imam Mahdi Shahbaz and his colleagues. They deserve death punishment. They should be made an example by being stoned to death, as Latif Qadiani was stoned to death in Kabul, Afghanistan. The so-called human rights organizations are supporting the apostate Shahbaz. The government should expedite the dispatch of the apostate Shahbaz and his colleagues through stoning and thus pacify the tension prevailing in the religious circles of the country’.”
The mullah is thus demanding that the government of Pakistan should follow the footsteps of the Afghan government of 1903, when it ordered the death of Sahibzada Abdul Latif Shaheed, an Afghan divine and noble who became an Ahmadi and refused to recant. The Sahibzada was killed in a stadium by stoning in the presence of the king, his courtiers, the ulama and a huge crowd. This mullah Allah Yar has the audacity to make such demands (and the Jang to publish them) when the Chief Minister of the Punjab has publicity declared his perception and policy: “Islam is a religion of understanding and tolerance. It clearly forbids people to impose their dogma upon others…. The government will not hesitate to bring such people to law who spread disorder in society through religion. Those who make provocative speeches should be pointed out….” Well, the Jang has pointed out one of them who is a persistent offender. It is very relevant to mention that this mullah was booked recently for his mischief but he was released only three days later. Three individuals stood surety for him for Rs. 100,000 each that he will not make sectarian or anti-state speeches. This mullah thus treats with contempt the pronouncements of the high-ups and of the implementation potential of the authorities. It would be appropriate to hold his supporters and guarantors accountable for his repeated criminal conduct.
Are these purely religious associations?
There are numerous Khatme Nabuwwat (End of the Prophethood) organizations in the country that pose as purely religious associations and thereby enjoy all the privileges and freedom in this guise. Authorities give them the permission, even support, to operate at will, while these undertake hostile and highly provocative propaganda against Ahmadiyya community. However, as their real agenda is political, they avail of the permissive attitude of the government to promote their political aim. Below, we reproduce some of their statements from the vernacular press in support of this hypothesis to show their real colors:
American bombardment at Bajaur is open aggression.
Muslims are being exterminated on the excuse of war on terror.
US should be resisted with iron hands.
Statement of Qari Shabbir Ahmad Usmani, Central Chief Organizer of the International Khatme Nabuwwat Movement.
The Express, Faisalabad; January 27, 2006
World Pasban Khatme Nabuwwat (guardians of the end of prophethood) will hold protests and rallies today against the Marathon Race (at Lahore)
Lahore (staff Reporter). Allama Muhammad Mumtaz Awan, the Central Nazim Ala of World Pasban Khatme Nabuwwat said that it would make bitter protest and take out rallies today the Friday, 27th January against the shameless Marathon Races that are being officially promoted in support of moral corruption and nudity and in violation of Islamic culture and decency. At this occasion all the respected Ulama of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan, under the charter of Tahaffuz Khatme Nabuwwat will make loud protests in the mosques during the Friday congregations and move condemning resolutions through the worshippers against the Marathon race that is being undertaken at American instigation to promote western culture and civilization.
The daily Awaz, Lahore; January 27, 2006
The nation should be spared of its ‘educated Assemblies’.
Pakistan is encircled by internal and external threats.
Bombardment by the US at Bajaur is condemnable.
Sahibzada Zahid Mahmud Qasmi, the Central General Secretary of the International Khatme Nabuwwat Movement and the JUI.
The Pakistan, Lahore; January 21, 2006
Note: It would be seen that Mr. Qasimi puts on two hats, one of the JUI and the other of the Khatme Nabuwwat Movement. His other colleagues may do the same more discreetly, but they all openly use the stage of Khatme Nabuwwat to promote their national and international political agenda.
Disinformation at Rawalpindi
Rawalpindi; 1st week of September 2006: Mullahs turn to lies and falsehood in public in their animosity towards Ahmadiyyat, and the authorities let it pass as if this is not covered in their definition of harmful sectarian activities. Subsequent to the death of Akbar Bugti and the unrest in Baluchistan, mullahs prepared banners and hung them at various squares in Rawalpindi, on which it was boldly written:
Balochistan ke halat ki khrabi mein Qadian mulawwis hein i.e. ‘Qadianis are to blame for the unrest in Balochistan’. The banners carry names of a number of mullahs as the sponsors of this lie. The authorities took no action against the brazen clerics.
Also, in an anonymous letter, Ahmadis were blamed for aggression against Lebanon. Ahmadiyya Centre in Rawalpindi was mentioned as the source of terrorism. Another source was the co-centre at Islamabad. The Deputy Amir of the Ahmadiyya Community of Rawalpindi was named as the supporter of these activities. The letter contained great deal of filth against Ahmadi elders. They sent a copy of the same to the Ahmadiyya center. A similar letter was initiated in nearby Gujar Khan by the writer who posed as a woman and member of the Ahmadi women organization.
Anti-Ahmadiyya hate literature distributed to children
Dulmial, District Chakwal: A mullah is managing a madrassah here for young children, boys and girls. Rather than teaching them Islam which every Muslim claims to be a religion of peace, harmony and tolerance, the mullah has loaded the children with literature that contains concentrated doses of hate-material against Ahmadis.
Extracts from the distributed pamphlets:
“ Respected readers! The above quoted beliefs of Qadianis are pure infidelity (kufriyya) and expose their evil nature. It is our religious duty to protect ourselves and other Muslims from Qadianis. Let’s become a rampart against pure Qadiani Kufr”.
Anbiyae Karam and Qadianis
“These extracts indicate that Satan moved the pen and tongue of Mirza Ghulam Ahmad Qadiani…. Can we socially interact with followers of such a satanic personality? Does it not pose a challenge to our sense of religious honour?”
Syedna Isa and Qadiani
“Move, and in God’s name tear apart their (Qadianis’) robe of hypocrisy… Let’s destroy the enemy of the Holy Prophet (pbuh) … Let’s uproot the mischief of Qadian…. Let’s sacrifice our blood, for the love of Muhammad (pbuh)”.
Who is a Mirzai by Muhammad Tahir Abdur Razzaq of Markaz Sirajia, Lahore
“Annual Counter-Qadiani and Counter-Christianity Course will be held at Madrassah Khatme Nabuwwat, Muslim Colony, Chenab Nagar from 5 Shabaan to 28 Shabaan”.
Nazim Ala, Alami Majlis Tahaffuz Khatme Nabuwwat, Hazuri Bagh Rd. Multan
It is relevant to quote here the declared state policy, announced by the President at New York on September 17, 2005:
“Domestically, religious bigotry, hate campaigns and confrontational tendencies have to be curbed. This has to be done through bold, determined, well thought-out and indigenously applicable strategies. Intimate cooperation and coordination of intelligence and squeezing the underworld funding of terrorist and extremist organizations will facilitate counter-terrorism operations to a large degree.”
The daily Nation, Lahore; September 19, 2005
The flag-bearers of extremism reported here do not keep their identity secret. They have boldly printed their addresses on these pamphlets as follows:
- Maulana Aziz-ur-Rahman Jalandhri, Sahibzada Tariq Mahmud of Almi Majlis Tahaffuz Khatme Nabuwwat Hazuri Bagh Rd. Multan Ph: 514122
- Muhammad Tahir Abdur Razzaq, Markaz Sirajia Lahore, Gali No. 4, Akram Park, Ghalib Market, Gulberg-III Phone: 5877456
- Donations are solicited in:
Current Account No. 1246-82
Markaz Sirajia Trust
Habib Bank (Factory Area, Gulberg Branch)
It was for the State to take notice and implement its declared policy. It did not.
Mullah Allah Yar and the local police
Rabwah: Mullah Allah Yar Arshad whose sole mission is to promote sectarian mischief at Rabwah cannot be blamed of lethargy. Early this month, he sniffed out a location that could possibly suit his purpose of Ahmadi-bashing. He noticed a small TV at a vendor’s wooden cabin (khokha) near the Fazle Umar Hospital. He shouted at the location against the proprietors, and accused them of preaching through TV programs. The mullah then contacted the local police post, wherefrom two constables eagerly arrived at the cabin. They took away the TV and the vendor’s 14-years old son to the police post.
The community officials contacted the DSP and complained against the harassment and unjustified activism of the police and the mullah against the innocent. The DSP understood and ordered the release of the boy and the TV.
Faisalabad: While the entire religious establishment was protesting against the Danish caricatures as blasphemous and provocative, the Alami Majlis Tehrik Tahaffuz Khatme Nabuwwat chose to duplicate and even outperform the provocation of the daily. This Majlis designed, produced and freely distributed highly provocative stickers with anti-Ahmadi slogans. These producers are so sure of their immunity to President Musharraf’s declared policy against extremism that they appear to violate it with contempt. They have boldly printed their address on these stickers as:
Alami Majlis Tehrik Tahaffuz Khatme Nabuwwat, Khyaban Colony No. 2, Imran Rd. Nazd (near) Madina Town, Faisalabad
While these mullahs may be given full marks for ‘audacity’, the government cannot miss negative grading in credibility. The daily Khabrain gave the following headlines quoting the Chief Minister, on January 25, 2006:
Miscreants who spread disorder in the name of religion will be subjected to law.
Writers, publishers and presses involved in production of sectarian hate promoting literature will be severely dealt with. The Chief Minister Punjab.
Another organization, self-styled Mirzai Mukau (Exterminate all Ahmadis) produced a sticker that is even more provocative than all the others. The producers have given their postal address in the provincial capital:
Post Box No. 1582 Lahore
A caricature of the holy founder of the Ahmadiyya Jamaat published by such clerics defies reproduction or description. It is under circulation in Faisalabad.
A fake letter, and some evil plan
Mandi Bahauddin; 17.2.2006: Mong is located in district Mandi Bahauddin. A few months ago, it was the scene of a murderous attack on Ahmadi worshippers that resulted in eight deaths. During February a serious conspiracy came to light that got Ahmadis worried. It was distribution of a fake letter by the opposition.
This meticulously designed evil letter was sent by post to all the major mosques of the city on Friday, the 17th February 2006. It is computer typed in Urdu; its translation is given below:
I hope you are well. I present you a proposal for consideration. You may consider stopping all statements and sermons against our community (Qadiani); in that case we shall provide you financial support to your satisfaction. In case any of your relatives or friends is in need of a government job, he will be provided. If you do not agree, the matter should be closed. We and you will forget it entirely. However, if you react negatively, it will hurt you, while nothing will happen to me. I hope you will respond favorably. Do not make a decision in a hurry; take your time. In case you are favorable to the suggestion, contact me at the phone mentioned below. Your name will be treated ‘confidential’, and the financial assistance will flow. Please tear away the letter after perusal.
(Note: Financial assistance will be up to Rs. 100,000/-).
Please contact: 0300 7752002
On inquiry it was found that the above phone numbers are those of Mr. Ejaz Mahmud, an Ahmadi businessman, resident at Mandi Bahauddin. His signatures were simulated with care. He has a good business in the town, and is well linked with the local press. On discovery of this fraudulent letter, Ahmadis brought this to the notice of authorities. Ahmadis also met 18 prayer-leaders who were known to have received the letter, and explained to them the real position. The remainder are going to be contacted. Four days earlier, robbers snatched Mr. Mahmud’s new taxi at gun-point, a Corolla 2005/06 model. This could be a related incident. Mr. Mahmud felt concerned, but bore up the situation bravely. The greater concern was that of a move against the local community. All reasonable precautions were taken.
Harassment of an Ahmadi for his faith
Thatha: Mr. Shakoor Ahmad, Ahmadi, faced threats and harassment from religious bigots in the month of September, and he made a detailed written report on September 25, 2006. His report is now on record; here we give its summary:
- On September 7, 2006 two mullahs visited him at 0900 at his shop and advised him to recant, stop his subscription to the Ahmadiyya daily ‘Alfazl’ or risk an attack on his business. Shakoor responded courageously to their threats.
- Two days later, three mullahs came over, repeated the threats, and raised the level of their intended actions. “We shall lift your children, and then kill you. In your own interest, we advise you to recite the Kalima, and recant from Ahmadiyyat,” they said. Shakoor told them that his Kalima was no different than theirs; and as for recanting, he would not even consider it.
- Later when he went to the school to collect his child, a mullah took him to his office and repeated the advice and the threat. Shakoor told him that his murder would not solve the problem as there are Palaris, Jakhios, Barafts, Sheikhs, Khaskhailis, Syeds and Pathans who are Ahmadis. “How many of them are you prepared to kill”, he asked the mullah. Mullah had no answer to this question.
- The next day, one of Shakoor’s non-Ahmadi friends was questioned by some Maulvis. The friend supported Shakoor and told them firmly to stop the mischief.
- The same day, Shakoor’s landlord told him that the mullahs had come to him and urged him to expel Shakoor from the premises. He did not oblige them.
- Some days later the mullah who had met Shakoor near the school, contacted him again and asked him to give in writing that:
– “I do not recite the Kalima.
– I do not undertake ritual Islamic prayers.
– I do not consider the Holy Prophet to be the ‘Khatam al Nabiyyeen.”
“If you write that, we shall have nothing against you,” the Mulla said. At the occasion, Shakoor was accompanied by a non-Ahmadi friend, who chided the mullah for his stupid and bizarre demands. The mullah left thereafter.
Mullah’s outrage against restaurant owner
Qasur; June 14, 2006: Mr. Qiadat Ahmad Hashmi, an Ahmadi stopped at a restaurant for breakfast at the city’s bus station. The business is owned by Abdul Ghafur Ansari. At the time, his son was minding the shop. When Mr. Hashmi started partaking his meal, a Khatme Nabuwwat organization activist Muhammad Ahmad approached the son and demanded as to why a ‘Mirzai’ had been allowed to eat there. He threatened that he would contact Maulvi Manzoor and arrange a Gherao (encirclement) of the restaurant. The boy was polite to the agitator and tried to calm him down. However, the miscreant kept simmering, and when Mr. Hashmi rose to pay the bill, he broke the crockery used by the client. He warned the boy, “If you serve a meal again to a Mirzai, I shall take full action against you.” He also used foul language against the holy founder of the Ahmadiyya Jamaat.
Qasur is only 30 miles from the provincial capital. The incident shows the level of respect (or disrespect) the clerics have for the anti-sectarian drive of the higher-ups.
Mullah undertakes sectarian drive
Toba Tek Singh: Maulvi Allah Wasaya, one of the leaders of Khatme Nabuwwat organization undertook a week-long anti-Ahmadiyya tour of district Toba Tek Singh in June. He addressed a gathering at Chak No. 295 Berianwala. Here he was accompanied by Maulvi Abdullah of Toba. The police intervened and stopped his slander by switching off the loudspeaker system. Next he visited Chak No. 293 G.B. Thereafter, he addressed two meetings at Toba Tek Singh. At all these occasions, his main theme was: “If you people co-operate with us, we can precipitate once again an anti-Qadiani agitation like that of 1974”. His tour was advertised through posters.
New list of demands by the mullah
The mullah knows how to compile a list of anti-Ahmadiyya demands. He prepared a long list in early 1950s and launched an ugly movement that fizzled out at the time, but the mullah persisted and eventually got all what he demanded, and much more. However, his appetite for ill-will and transgression is vast, so he is still not happy and has come up with still more demands. According to a press-report in the daily Jinnah, Lahore, of July 15, 2006, the mullahs assembled at Jame Masjid Siddique Akbar, Chiniot demanded the following in the form of resolutions, inter alia:
- 1. Voters lists should be separate on the basis of Muslims and Non-Muslims.
- 2. Qadianis’ check-posts in Chenab Nagar should be banned. (These are crime-prevention posts. Ed.)
- 3. Permission to publish the Qadiani daily, the Alfazl and other periodicals should be withdrawn.
- 4. Amplifiers at the Qadiani palaces of worship at Ahmad Nagar should be removed.
- 5. The sound-amplifying system at the Aqsa Mosque in Chenab Nagar should be confiscated officially, and the users should be arrested. (The system is used for Friday sermons and is inaudible outside the mosque premises. Ed.)
- 6. A serious notice should be taken of the activities abroad of Mirza Masroor Ahmad, (The Supreme Head of the worldwide Ahmadiyya Community).
- 7. All moveable and non-moveable property of Mirza Masroor should be confiscated by the state and his Pakistani citizenship should be cancelled.
- 8. The police post at Chenab Nagar should have a permanent building and a residential colony. (The post is located on usurped land; it belongs to Ahmadis by law. Ed.)
- 9. Qadianis should be removed from key posts. (According to them, telephone operator in PTCL is also a key post. Ed.)
- 10. Religion-column should be added to the national identity card.
- 11. Sharia punishment for apostasy (death, according to the mullah) should be imposed.
- 12. The Qadiani Movement should be quashed.
The mullah’s appetite for anti-Ahmadiyya fodder and political craving is limitless. Only a fortnight later, clerics added the following demands at Faisalabad to their list compiled at Chiniot only a few days earlier. According to the daily Aman, Faisalabad, of July 31, 2006, the following were also demanded by the Ulama of the International Khatme Nabuwwat Movement, inter alia:
- a. Chenab Nagar should be prevented from becoming a Qadiani state.
- b. National Identity Cards of non-Muslim minorities should be of a different color.
- c. The government should confiscate all Qadiani endowments and charities.
- d. The ownership of all green belts, roads etc of Chenab Nagar should be transferred in the name of TMA and the possession should be taken. (In fact all these green belts, parks and playgrounds etc are the property of Sadr Anjuman Ahmadiyya, and have been paid for. Ed.)
- e. Qadiani activity to ‘Invite people to God’ should be banned.
This list included the following political demands as well at the end – another dimension of their agenda:
- 1. The present Islamic Ideology Council is no longer useful. It should be restructured.
- 2. All the false cases against Ulema should be withdrawn countrywide.
- 3. We shall tolerate no amendment to the Hudood Ordinance. If amended, we should launch a countrywide movement against the government.
Agitation against self-defense
Faisalabad. Syed Mahmud Ali Shah, Ahmadi of D-type Colony Faisalabad, owns a small factory. On June 23, he invited some of his employees to visit Rabwah and judge for themselves of what is right and wrong about the allegations concerning Ahmadiyyat. Twelve of the invitees decided to avail of the tour, and reportedly were happy about the trip.
The mullah came to know of this visit, and did not like at all that people should be facilitated to inquire into his incriminations and allegations. Mullah Muhammad Hussain Chinioti applied to the police that Shah should be booked for violating the Ahmadi-specific law. Mullah Faqir Muhammad approached, as usual, no less than the Home Secretary and the DPO, and demanded severe action against Shah and his two sons. As a result, an official of the Special Branch made the visit, undertook inquiry and interviewed the invitees. The mullah at the local mosque harangued the worshippers to agitate, but they refused to cooperate with him. In view of all this Mr. Shah called on the DSP who heard him and opined that the event was a non-issue.
It is however interesting to note how the mullah co-opts the vernacular press to achieve his undesirable goals. The clerics approached, and at least three newspapers agreed to print the mullah’s version of the incident under two-column headlines. According to the daily ‘Islam’, that claims to issue simultaneously from Lahore, Karachi, Rawalpindi, Multan, Peshawar and Muzaffar Abad, in its issue of July 2, 2006 that covered this story, the Ahmadiyya way of proselytizing was as follows:
- They urge simple Muslims from the labor class to reject Islam and join the Qadiani faith.
- They offer them a house and marriage with young women.
- They offer to settle them abroad.
- They make them big financial offers, etc.
It would be interesting to ask the 12 who visited Rabwah if they were offered this heavenly package. The mullah is expert at telling lies, and believes that a lie in service of his faith is not only permissible, it is even a duty.
The mullah demands stiffer punishments
Faisalabad: A mullah representing the Majlis Khatme Nabuwwat has demanded a higher punishment than ‘imprisonment for life’ for an act of defiling the Quran. It is relevant to mention here that individuals who disposed worn out pages of old copies of the Holy Quran by burning, so as to ensure a respectful disposal, have also been punished and are in prison serving life terms. The daily Aman, Faisalabad reported the mullah in a 2-column space on November 4, 2006, as below:
“Penalty of death should be legislated for defiling the Quran. Maulvi Faqir Muhammad
In view of increase in incidents of defilement of the Holy Scripture, up-gradation of the penalty is a must.
The cases against the ill-fated accused should be heard and decided on priority – Secretary Information Majlis Tahaffuz Khatme Nabuwwat
Faisalabad: (P.R.) Maulvi Faqir Muhammad, Secretary Information, Almi Majlis Khatme Nabuwwat has demanded of the Prime Minister and the Interior Secretary that in order to stop the increasing incidents of defilement of the Holy Quran, the penalty of ‘Life Imprisonment’ in PPC 298B should be increased to ‘Death’ and the hearing of the cases of the ill-fated accused for defilement of the Holy Quran should be accelerated. He said that the increase in incidents of the burning and defilement of the Quran is cause of great concern. In the recent past 2 Christian non-Muslims were involved in defilement of the Holy Quran, and they were brought before the court under the anti-terrorism law. Before that there was the defilement incident at Sangla Hill, against which the Muslims of the area protested strongly. Qadianis, Christians and even some ill-fated Muslims have been guilty of defiling the Holy Quran.”